Monday, February 7, 2011

Inspiration Is Everywhere

No two drawing styles are the same, and I think this shows up even more in a class such as Life Drawing where everybody is drawing the exact same subject matter. Everybody's pictures somehow find a way to be unique and interesting in their own right, and this always amazes me. I love searching for and studying different drawing styles, trying to find bits and pieces that I want to incorporate into my own drawing skill set.

Lately, I have been trying hard to focus on using my entire arm to draw rather than just my wrist, but this has been extremely difficult for me because of how detail-oriented I am with my art. I've been trying to loosen up my style to get more of a freshness to my line, and I've been trying to shy away from using too many lines or having my picture look "scribbly".

I recently discovered a blog by an artist named Kevin Wueste, and I love all of his drawings. His lines are all so purposeful and crisp, something I have yet to accomplish as well as I'd like. It really shows in his work how much he has studied the human body, and I definitely respect how easy he makes something so difficult look. His skills are very portrait based, and I love how you can still feel the gesture drawings even in his paintings.


This was one of Kevin's drawings that I thought really related to the types of drawings we've been doing in class lately. He really knows how to use the fewest number of lines he possibly can, while still showing the pose extremely accurately. This skill is something that truly needs to be practiced if someone is to get this good at it, and I hope to do just that.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about Kevin Wueste! I love how he integrates different line width and gesture marks to make the form look so light and weightless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've found myself an artist who is inspiring me to keep at drawing the human form. I talk about him in my blog.

    ReplyDelete