Sunday, May 15, 2011

Alright, we're winding down.....

So I finally gathered all my photos of my drawings over the entire semester, and I was extremely pleased with how many I was able to replace from my mid-term portfolio. It's always nice to see improvement, and before I looked at these pictures, I wasn't quite convinced as to just how much I had improved since September. I still struggled finding enough gesture drawings that I liked, so I had to pull some from the first half of the semester that don't include the entire figure, but there's still something about the partial body drawings that I really enjoy. It helps me view the figure as an object rather than a person if I don't think about drawing each individual piece of the body.

I'm also glad that we are able to include some of our skull, foot and hand drawings in our final portfolio, since those ended up being some of my favorite long poses. It was nice to be able to spend the extra time on one specific part of the body rather than the entire body. I think I was able to come out of those with some really nice, polished drawings to put in my portfolio. That's one reason I'm really looking forward to Life Drawing 2 next fall, since it focuses mainly on the head for most of the class. It will be very useful to learn how all the muscles and bones of the head work together to form different expressions and faces.

I'm also pretty pleased with how my maniken turned out at the end of the semester. There were many times during the year that I thought to myself that the muscles would never end, but alas our muscle men are complete. It was a nice change of pace to be able to switch gears and think more in three-dimensions rather than working with charcoal again. I definitely enjoyed the project, and it helped me visualize the body as a whole, as well as helped me place individual muscles into my drawings.

Here's a couple pic's of my final maniken!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm really glad she allowed us to put in the skull and hand drawings in to, I loved how mine turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my skeletal drawings were my favorite too. I'll be taking Life Drawing 2 also so I'll see you in the fall!

    ReplyDelete